Choose the Best Composition Curriculum For Your Children
If you wonder if your child can write, then ask if your child can tell a coherent story or verbalize what was just studied. It so, the writing “problem” may be a simple logistical problem. Not being able to compose and remember it long enough to hand write it, spell it, and punctuate it might be the problem—not the inability to write.
Can Your Student Compose?
- If your student can dictate and tell you a story or the answer to a question from another course, then your student can compose.
- Use a cell phone app or an inexpensive recorder to record the student as he dictates/tells his “writing” to you. Later he can listen to what he recorded and write it on paper.
- A wealth of homeschool composition curriculum exists for teaching and learning the writing process.
- The following composition and creative writing books and courses were chosen because they are favorites among homeschooling families, are homeschool friendly, and they work.
Grade Based Composition and Writing Homeschool Curriculum for Grades K to 6
- BJU Press Elementary English Curriculum is a traditional curriculum. It has a workbook, TE, tests, and tests answer key for first through sixth grades.
- Complete Writer: Writing with Ease series from author Susan Wise Bauer teaches writing for grades 1 through 5.
- Writing Strands is a creative writing composition program from National Writing Institute It has levels through high school based on ability.
- Writers in Residence Composition and grammar from Apologia for grades 4 to 8.
Grade Based Composition and Writing Homeschool Curriculum for Grades 7 to 12
- Skills for Rhetoric is a writing and speech course for junior high by James P. Stobaugh.
- Skills for Literary Analysis is a writing and literature course for junior high also by Dr. Stobaugh.
- English Writing and Grammar Grades 7-9 English from BJU Press for secondary students in seventh through 9th grade.
- 10 English from BJU Press for secondary students in tenth through twelfth grade.
- Writing Strands is a creative writing program from National Writing Institute with levels through high school.
Multi-Level Composition and Writing Homeschool Curriculum for Grades K to 12
- Jump In A Workbook for Reluctant and Eager Writers for middle school students and high school. Students who need help in writing will like the Jump In method.
- Wordsmith Series (Common Sense Press) Help comes in easy steps for the reluctant older writer in Wordsmith Apprentice. Grades 4-12
- Easy Writing will help your student write better sentences from the author of Easy Grammar.
- Format Writing Teach expository writing: paragraphs, essays, and research papers with Format Writing from Frode Jensen.
- Writing for 100 Days Composition lessons for grades 6 and up.
- Fairview’s Guide to Composition and Essay Writing For grades 9 and up
- Research in Increments Write a research paper in increments.
- Word Artist (Poetry) Study and compose poetry
Writing Resources Grades K to 12
- The Elements of Style (illustrated) helps with writing style from Strunk and White for junior high to adult.
- Writer’s Toolbox is an English reference book for grades 9 to 12 from BJU Press.
- Writing Skills Flippers Guide for basic writing techniques
We’re using Fairview’s Guide to Composition and Essay Writing as a mini-mester course with our two youngest sons in homeschool high school. Completing it will meet their writing requirement for language arts this year. I’ll let you know how it goes! They like to chunk English courses. Fairview’s Guide accommodates this time of learning style.
Fairview’s Guide to Composition and Essay Writing
Fairview’s Guide to Composition and Essay Writing is a high school level composition and essay writing book that will help your student to learn to write an essay.
It is divided into four sections as follows:
- The Big Picture
In this section, your student will cover active, illustrative writing, followed by a study of tone, audience, paragraphing, and drafting.
- Sentence Fluidity
In the next section, your student will identify and correct awkward sentences, practice choosing words, write transitions, and incorporate quotes in writing.
- Sentence Combining
Learning to utilize a variety of sentence structures and to combine sentences to improve them will help your student to write better.
- Four Essays
The student will apply what’s been learned by writing four types of essays: taking a stand, compare and contrast, personal, and mock essay. One suggested use of this section is to write various essays that your student can use on college applications.
Fairview’s Guide to Composition and Essay Writing is a good homeschool course for the student who likes to work independently with accountability to the teacher who will grade the work and be available to work with the student on more difficult parts of the book.
The home teacher could also be at the student’s side to guide him through the lessons as a personal tutor would.
To use this composition and essay writing and course, your student should have a basic understanding of punctuation and grammar rules. It can be completed as a supplement to a literature course. If your student likes to chunk his learning, then this could be used as a month long course as in a “mini-mester” or summer school class.
Grade level: 9+ 103 pages. Soft cover.
Writing for 100 Days
This homeschool friendly and sometimes humorous book addresses four areas of writing:
Lessons on composition in Writing for 100 Days focus on skills such as word choice, dialect and slang, parallel construction, transitions, sentence variety, and organization.
Lessons in fiction writing cover main character, plot, setting, point of view, dialogue, and writing the story draft.
In poetry, lessons explore writing limericks, sonnets, haiku, free verse, blank verse, and song lyrics.
- Writing in Action
“Writing in action” lessons focus on writing business and friendly letters, speeches, a column, an advertisement, technical writing, and more.
Writing for 100 Days can be used by the homeschool student who likes to work independently. It is suggested that you find another homeschool student or family and work through it together for the interaction. The home teacher could also be at the student’s side to guide him through the lessons as a personal tutor would.
Your student should have a basic understanding of punctuation and grammar rules to use this writing course.
Grade level: 6+ 103 pages, soft cover.