Beyond the Code Workbooks feature decodable stories that follow the phonetic sequence of the Explode the Code series.
We like these. They provide additional reading, writing, and spelling practice in a fun format. I sat alongside as the boys did their work in Beyond the Code. Books 1 through 4 are comprehension and reasoning companion books for Explode the Code books. Beyond the Code may also be used independently.
Features and Benefits of Beyond the Code Workbooks
- Each book in the Beyond the Code Reading Comprehension Series has different stories.
- Introductory exercises teach word families and vocabulary.
- Follow-up questions develop students’ understanding of the stories and encourage their reasoning abilities.
- After each story, students can complete illustrations by adding their own drawings.
- Skills covered include:
- Spelling Patterns
- Sight words
- Vocabulary development
- Following directions
- Critical thinking
- Story recall
- Inferential Thinking
- Rhyming Words
- Multi-syllabic words
- Matching sentences to pictures
- According to the publisher’s website, Beyond the Code is aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
Beyond the Code Workbooks Bundle
The Beyond the Code Bundle includes one each of the following workbooks:
- Beyond the Code Workbook 1 9780838824016
- Beyond the Code Workbook 2 9780838824023
- Beyond the Code Workbook 3 9780838824030
- Beyond the Code Workbook 4 9780838824047
Beyond the Code Workbook 1
Beyond the Code Book 1 contains three illustrated stories and various related exercises.
Beyond the Code Workbook 2
Book 2 contains seven illustrated stories and accompanying exercises.
Beyond the Code Book 3
Book 3 has five illustrated stories with the related exercises listed above.
Beyond the Code Workbook 4
Book 4 has six illustrated stories with accompanying exercises.
Explode the Code® is a registered trademark of EPS School Specialty.