- It is a middle school and high school science course.
- Written by Jay Ryan, Signs and Seasons Classical Astronomy is a hardbound book with over 400 drawings that make clear the visual appearances of the sky.
- I like the way many of the pictures show the stargazer in relation to the horizon and the constellation.
- It’s easier to find stars with these pictures than with typical constellation diagrams.
- Introduces the celestial basis for timekeeping and navigation from the Sun, Moon, and stars
- Shows that Classical Astronomy was part of the average person’s knowledge throughout history until clocks and other instruments replaced that need
- Teaches readers to identify the stars and constellations and distinguish them from planets through visual lessons
- Helps acquire skill at astronomical observation and recording results through field activities in the text.
- Easy-to-follow constellation diagrams
- Has a Field Journal for student to document work for high school credit in astronomy
- Teaches classical astronomy with a Biblical perspective
- Save when you buy the Signs and Seasons Bundle with the bonus Moonfinder children’s book by Jay Ryan!
Signs & Seasons Observing the Elements of Classical Astronomy
Signs & Seasons Astronomy is a systematic study of Classical Astronomy from a Biblical perspective.
- It can count for 1/2 credit of high school astronomy if your student reads the book and does the field activities in the text.
- High school students will create a field journal.
- You can teach this as a multi-level course with your family and observe the night sky together in the northern hemisphere.
See Sample Pages of Signs and Seasons at the publisher’s website
- Table of Contents for Signs and Seasons Opens to a new page at the publisher’s website.
- Signs and Seasons Sample Pages Opens to a new page at the publisher’s website.
“Author Jay Ryan presents a crystal-clear understanding of the night sky. The excellent, extensive graphics raise the bar for other astronomy books. The unique balance between modern and historical observations may well ignite a lifelong interest in stargazing.”
– Donald B. DeYoung, author of Astronomy and the Bible,
President of the Creation Research Society
Hardbound, recommended for ages 13 and up, but usable by all ages with adult guidance.
Field Journal and Test Manual for Signs & Seasons
By Jay Ryan, Publisher: Fourth Day Press
The companion Field Journal and Test Manual for Signs & Seasons Classical Astronomy was created for high-schoolers to establish 120 hours of field work for a full high school astronomy credit with a final letter grade.
- With this journal, your student can document time and activities related to the course.
- Field observations can be recorded in the Field Journal section.
- It has handy tables and sketch boxes for recording observations of the night sky and sketching the appearances of the Sun, Moon, stars, and planets.
- Maps for recording the movements and positions of the celestial bodies are also included.
- A separate volvelle section is included for creating pre-made, copy-and-cut-out “volvelles” — traditional astronomical calculating instruments for modeling the motions of the celestial bodies.
- In the Test Manual section there are eight tests for the chapters in Signs & Seasons.
- An Answer Key is included.
See Sample Pages of the Field Journal at the publisher’s website
- Table of Contents for the Field Journal Opens to a new page at the publisher’s website.
- Sample Pages from the Field Journal Opens to a new page at the publisher’s website.
Softcover (perfect binding)
Signs & Seasons Moonfinder Bundle
The Signs & Seasons Moonfinder Bundle includes one of each of the following items:
- Signs & Seasons Textbook 9780979221101
- Signs & Seasons Field Journal and Test Manual 9780979221118
- Moonfinder 9780979221125
By Jay Ryan, Publisher: Fourth Day Press
Written and beautifully illustrated by Jay Ryan (author of Signs & Seasons), Moonfinder is the story of a little boy who learns the phases of the moon with his daddy.
- Each page includes a full-color illustration
- Each picture shows the location and appearance in the sky of the moon at different phase over one cycle
- Explains the astronomy behind the changes of the moon
- Family-friendly book designed to be read aloud to your children
- Presents a positive image of a boy learning with his father
- Train your children to be moonfinders!!
Hardcover, all ages
Subscribe to The Classical Astronomy Update at their website.
- The Classical Astronomy Update is a free astronomy newsletter from Jay Ryan, the author of the new Signs and Seasons astronomy curriculum. “Stay aware of astronomy events visible with the unaided eye, and learn to understand the seasonal changes in the sky.”